THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Scouting and What Knot

Okay...poor play on words...but I am not up to "very clever" today. It's been a bit of a week...that l lasted a month long, it feels like! The rhythm I had hoped to establish still has not fully materialized...somewhat disappointing...but on the other hand most all is being accomplished so it all turns out fine in the end. Some of the disruption of plans has been outside our area of control, so no use worrying about it, right? and other parts have been due to a small amounts of whimsy taking hold and that's okay too. 

Twirly-whirly has been moving forward with reading and writing in English as well as some Latin and Greek (she is memorizing our Greek alphabet song faster than I for instance). We continue with CC (Classical Conversations) each week too, though I hope to get in more recital time at home...evenso she is remembering the material in song form nicely. Her other subjects/activities are also coming along....ballet show Dec 1...she got her costume for that yesterday...so cute! 

What's been on my mind and back burner on slow simmer has been scouting for the girl...her brother recently became a member of a Cub Scout pack.  I am the Den Mom (Assistant Den Leader to be precise). I am an avid Scouter since my older two were the only two. Anyone who knows me knows this and my dilemma about GSUSA since they no longer quite embody what they began as. I looked for alternatives a few years ago. We joined GEMS, and really love it!

But once the boy and I began scouting together, it showed how not as much like scouting I had hoped it would be GEMS was. Mind you, we are continuing with it cus we both do love it. It just has a diff energy to it than a true scouting program. 

A while back I stumbled across really vintage Brownie books...like from the 20's/30's and I fell in love with it as I could so see TW getting so much fun from it! So very imaginative and yet grounded in real life experiences than the modern version today. So I began collecting.....books, badges, uniformy bits...in order to try to mimic it here at home between the 2 of us (we have tried with mixed results to create with other girls a Keepers Club...refer to Keepersofthefaith,com....folks started out with us but then schedules changed and such and so in the end it's just us). 

I still had trouble figuring out how to actually implement it though. and then along the way I also found American Heritage Girls, the only all-girl org that BSA has a written Mutual Support Agreement with in their history! This said a lot! I found there is a troop not too very far away, but it meets the same night as our AWANA program, which we do not want to give up. So I applied for Trailblazers...the AHG version of Lone Scouting and faster than I knew it, we were approved! It said it could take weeks! Now to scrape up reg fee etc to cover the materials....like I said I had guessed it would take may weeks. 

I am excited she'll be able to do AHG and participate in joint BSA/AHG events/campaigns like Scouting for Food etc. alongside her brother.

The next question tho was what about the homeschool scout club thingy....then it came to me as I explained to her about my idea as I was trying on both the vest and the sash on her...some schools have mascots and spirit clubs and this would be ours. So very soon we will have the first meeting of Acorn Cottage Brownies! I will post pics and such soon. 

0 comments: