THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Performance Artist and Beginner Swimmer

After ballet class sometimes we visit the local little art museum. The latest gallery showings feature modern sculpture. The gal at the desk asked how old she was and I replied "Six and a half." The lady then said, "It's all sculptures this time and she probably won't understand them." I laughed and said, "She often creates sculptures herself that *I* don't understand!" I mean, really, it's modern art...very abstract...I am certain there are mady adults who don't get it...lol.

Anyway, we were cruising through the larger room and as we got the back there was a piece of what I can only describe as video sculpture. It was a series of doors on film. The funny part was that as you passed by your shadow fell across the movie images. Now if it weren't for the fact that an adult's shadow (even mine) was too tall for the doors I would have thought it was intentional rather than just because the arrangement allowed for plugging in the equipment. But then the Twirly-whirly came by and stood in front of the door and her shadow *did* fit. The first door was one of two in a hallway. I told her she looked like Alice in the hallway and she started walking toward the door (away from the projector) and appeared to shrink by comparison to the door to where she could stand and knock on it and as it was a movie this door (almost as if on cue) opened to a drk room and she was able to make her shadow appear to enter the room and disappear inside!

More fun was the 3rd door....I remembered to film it by that point (I sometimes forget that my phone can take pics and vids). 




Today was also her first ever swim lesson. She has hopes of surfing one day. She is very random in response even to things she wants to do though. When we told her we signed her up around a month or so ago, she screamed "I don't want to get in the water!!!" I was a bit concerned how it would all go today. She was afraid and sat on the pool steps and cried alot but still did everything the instructor asked her to do so i think once the newness of it wears off she'll do fine...at least I hope so....we just signed her up for the whole of July for more lessons (not to mention keeping cool!)

0 comments: